Monday, August 18, 2008

Now, back to the Boone County Fairgrounds

So, this weekend, I went to (witnessed? attended?) my first pow wow!

Now, I'd otherwise say I went to "a" pow wow, but seeing as how I appear to have been drafted for corn-vending-related non-indebted servitude at the next pow wow this weekend, it seems that this one just past became my "first" rather quickly.

It was pretty cool--I like history, music (drums in particular), learning new things--so there was a lot there I found interesting. It was pretty much like the wikiarticle says above--a dance circle, multiple drum groups that took turns playing, a variety of dancers. Now, I'm told--with a not-insignificant amount of scorn--by my non-caucasian friend that this event was organized by hobbyists, rather than natives, so it was pretty different from the "authentic" kind. [Apparently I'll learn more during my corn adventure next weekend?].

I also got a totally non-authentic, but very pretty, red dress and (sorry ma) a cool anklet. Yep, more "gypsy" foot jewelry for me. I think there's a 12 step program for it somewhere, but I'm in deep avoidance. :)

I did wear sunscreen and tried to stay out of the sun, so as to not repeat my adventure from this past June. I got to sit in caucasian seating (ie, the shade) and upon my arrival promptly got tossed a bar of Irish Spring soap. Very funny ;)

I do have pictures and some sub-par cell phone video, which I'll post if I get the go-ahead.

No comments: