Monday, July 03, 2006

Movie review: Superman Returns

So, here's my new movie review system. I've seen a couple movies recently and figured I'd share my experiences with the movie watching public. There are 5 possible points in each category (for a total of 40, currently) plus 10 in the extra credit category, so 45-50 total points. They range from 1 being "practically nonexistent" or "pretty awful" to 5 being "totally awesome".

A 3 in any category can be considered "pretty good".

And now Superman Returns...

Cute Boy to look at (1-5): 4! I was down on Brandon Routh (pronounced like south), mostly because I have had a huge crush on Christopher Reeve's Superman for, like, 20 years*.

Anyway, I also was annoyed by BR because A) Superman has blue eyes and Roush does not; and 2) Superman has to have sort of a rogue, wink-and-a-smile thing, and the interviews I saw of BR, well, he just didn't have it.

BUT--he pulled through in the end! They gave him blue contacts for when he turned into Superman, so that solved my first problem. And, Dave says he studied CR's old Superman movies for hours (which I appreciate, mrrrrow).

A satisfying ending (1-5): 3. Pretty good. It was unresolved, but in a "we're-going-to-make-another-movie" sort of way, not a "you-don't-have-enough-to-think-about-so-here's-an-unresolved-ending-for-you-to-ponder-for-freaking-eternity" sort of way .

Action/ adventureness (1-5): 4. Lots of good saving-the-world-from-destruction stuff

Love storyness (1-5): 4. The only thing keeping this from being a 5 were a few tears of joy. We all know the Superman and Lois Lane story. Sighhhh.

Good Scaryness (1-5, optional): N/A. Uh, not scary. Except if you count Pomeranian cannibalism as scary.

Kissing (1-5): 1. I would have gone with more making out.

But that's just me.

Cinematography/ Special effects (1-5): 4. Good! The flying, weightlessness, and airplane scenes only required the standard amount of willing suspension of disbelief**

Laughs (1-5): 3. There were some very good, funny parts that were mostly fueled by Lex Luthor.

Extra Credit (10 points): 10! Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor was great! I like him to begin with, but he was a great quirky funny evil, rather than just plain evil. It has a good beat, I can dance to it, I give it a 10.

Total: 33 out of 45. Definitely worth seeing (unless you're a commie and you don't like Superman.)

*Honestly, I think I have a superhero crush problem. Aquaman (yes, the cartoon), Batman (Keaton, that is), Wolverine, Superman. Pretty much every cute superhero except Spiderman... because it's really not nice to compete with one's sister for a superhero...although honestly, I think she more wanted to be Spiderman (Spiderperson?), than kiss him.

**I really think enjoying a movie requires what I call suspension of disbelief. Would Superman's cape really flap in space? No, of course not, there isn't any atmosphere; so therefore, there isn't any wind to flap it (and solar wind doesn't count). When Superman returns Lois Lane to the ground after flying around, wouldn't her skirt fly up like Marilyn Monroe's in The Seven Year Itch?

You just have to suspend some of that disbelief or you're never really going to enjoy yourself.

No comments: