Friday, June 30, 2006

I'm at *least* a brown belt, if not black, don't you think?

I have a parking lot habit that I know is illicit. I know it's wrong and I keep doing it. I have evaluated the risk to myself and others, however, and I think it's sufficiently low.

At beautiful HCY, the parking lot stretches the length of the building. I park in the extreme NE corner of said lot and, since very few others do so, I usually turn down the wrong-way aisle and park in the first or second spot from the end. There are rarely, if ever, any other people driving about that area.

Today, as I turned, I saw a Cavalier drive down a right-way aisle and cut across 2 lines of parking spaces (like people do at the grocery store, right before they almost crash into you and then give you that sh*tty look like, 'how dare you be where I planned to cut through!'), heading for the same spaces I was heading for. He parked next to me, and figuring that I took the spot that he was aiming for, when he got out of his car, I was like, "Hey sorry about stealing your spot!" I thought it was kind of funny, since we were both parking lot outlaws.

Oh, no, though, Mr. Cavalier was not under the impression that he had violated any parking lot rules of engagement! He said to me, "You know, you shouldn't drive down the wrong way, you could run into--"

At that point I interrupted him to say, "--people who are cutting across?" And I was still kind of laughing, I suppose because I thought there was no way he could ignore his flagrant HCY parking lot rule violation!!!

Then he started his sentence over again, adding that it's against the rules to drive down the wrong way. I told him, true, it's about as illicit as cutting across the yellow lines to get to where you're going.

I'm still not mad, you know, but getting a little annoyed by the life lesson from Cavvy-boy. I was however amused by the sight of the log he had failed to remove from his own eye!!!

So then he said, "okay, whatever, have a nice day."

And I said thank you.

(He wasn't even a yellow belt. Unless you're a green belt or higher in the time-honored sport of confrontation, you're just wasting my time).

No comments: