Sunday, June 01, 2008

An update on HCZ

So, I've now worked for HCZ for just over a month and I still really like it. Still no free tampons, but all in all it's pretty good. Let me go over my initial list with some updates...


Better
-BETTER GDP!!! That is Good Documentation Practices, for those not in my industry. Oh so much better! GDP is still better. Needs work, but most of the problems are people who are unfamiliar with the rules, not resistant to them. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.*
-Free pop (although I don't drink it). Still don't drink the pop, but oh, the free iced tea. If i could just figure out how to run a line from the machine upstairs down to my cubby hole, I could have caffeine EVERYSINGLESECONDOFMYLIFE!!! Um, sorry, every single second. We'll leave it at that (caffeinecaffeinecaffeine).
-3 lunchrooms, for when you need a change of scenery. I've still only eaten in one of them.
-CINNAMON ROLL COFFEE!! Tastes just like the "toast coffee" from HCX...mmmmmm.... (caffeinecaffeinecaffeine)
-No automatic flush toilets (ie no more wet you know what...) I am having a hard time shaking the habit of planning one's exit from the stall (gathering yr self and yr stuff and getting out without getting wet). This may take some time....
-I sit next to Rob J, who is really funny! I got my welcome present of a laser pointer from him this morning and he said that he will be willing to chase the dot upon request. He also proactively asked me not to call HR on him, cause he's just kidding. About whatever things he may say in the future. He's still funny, and so are a bunch of the other folks I've met. Interestingly, I've gone from sitting next to one guy who listen to techno incessantly to ANOTHER GUY WHO LISTENS TO TECHNO INCESSANTLY. I think it might be some sort of penance. I'm not sure.


Worse
-Not as many people to talk to. This one's getting better. As anyone who knows me IRL can attest, I have never had a problem making friends with strangers...and have continued that habit.
-Not as many cute boys to look at. A few, yes, but alas, still true. Sigh.
-Lunch is super boring. Sitting in a 2nd floor lunchroom with a bunch of chicks. Borrring. (However, my 1st year at HCY was terrible too, until I made some good friends, soooo) Lunch-is still locationally boring, but better company-wise
-Only 1 building, nowhere to visit when you're tired of your desk.
Got 2 words for you: Ware. House.


Weirder
-In order to get from my desk to the washroom and back, I must pass through no fewer than 8 doors. Toast coffee machine? 6 doors. Lunchroom #1? 4 doors. It is a constant door-opening fiesta! And it's not like they're locked doors, no, just doors to open, you know, just cause. I nearly feel like the energy I use to replace my arm at my side is unwarranted. Maybe I'll just walk around with my arm stuck out...(no, that wouldn't be strange at all...). Tomorow I'm counting the number of times I have to open a door. I shall report back :) 128. That was the result of the door count. 128. Ridiculous.




All in all, things are good. I'm still bossy and people are still mostly ok with it, since it's really for the betterment of HCZkind that I do what I do.

I do still need to find someone to play catch with me at lunch, which is proving a challenge. Too bad there aren't any watersports here, then I'd really show em a thing or 2.

One could always surf the pond...


*Never miss the opportunity for a line from Caddyshack. Never.

No comments: