Sunday, June 08, 2008

Movie Review: The Strangers

For the newbies, you might find some things below to be spoiler-ey. I try to put true spoilers in secret decoder mouse mode, but you never know. Caveat read-or.


Cute Persons to look at (0-5): 2

Yep, I'm gonna go with a 2. The lead chick is Liv Tyler, whom I think is quite attractive.

For the girls...the main guy squeeze is Scott Speedman. He's totally a fencesitter for me--I'm not really feeling him, but I know that if I were at a party and he turned out to be nice or smart or funny, I would probably fall deeply in like with him.

Plus he's Canadian (sigh). And we all know how I feel about that.

That's really it. Honestly, there are really only the 2 of them in the movie. There are a few creepy people and a best dude friend, but the above choices are pretty much it!

A Satisfying Ending (0-5): 1. Booooo. Seriously--like I've said a million times, I get enough uncertainty in my real life. I like my movies to be wrapped up nicely at the end with a big giant bow on top.

Maybe there'll be a sequel, but I just don't care. Grrrr. Not a bad ending, just not one that makes me happy. And, since it's an M-ocracy here, I get to make all the rules ;)

Action/adventureness (0-5): 3. Decent! Good action, good running around and stuff. I like.

Love storyness (0-5): 3. I'm going to give it a 3. You can see that the leads really do care for each other, which is really nice to see.

Good Scaryness (0-5): 3. Some pretty good scenes that made me jump and cover my eyes. The psych-out factor was pretty well done.

Kissing (0-5): 2. A 2 only because there wasn't enough of it. I like lots of kissing in my movies--lots and lots of it. There's a decent make out scene, although it was interruptus-ed, which is kind of a bummer. Still, all in all, good.

Cinematography/Special Effects (1-5): 3. Pretty good. Well shot, interesting camera angles, different things to look at, good creepy surprises.

Extra Credit: None that I can think of.



Total: 17/35. Worth seeing if you like scary movies. If it had had a big red bow on top, I think I would have really liked it. I was left with the "but..why..and what about?" at the end, which isn't my favorite, but all in all, it was pretty good.

No comments: