Monday, September 25, 2006

I'm pleased to report that a Toyota 4Runner *can* survive...

...2 days and nights of solid rain through its sunroof! (Moonroof? Whatever...)

Yes, that's right dear readers, although I did not plan to test the trailworthy-ness of my semibeloved machine**, I am happy to say that it seems to have some through the gauntlet with flying colors.

Ah yes, Friday afternoon, driving home in the beautiful sunshine, singing along with my eclectic drive partners, The Dixie Chicks and Fatboy Slim, windows and sunroof open...(cue impending music of doom...da-dum...da-dum...dumdumdumdum***)

What a beautiful day! I got home, pulled into the driveway, closed my windows and went in the house...da-dum. Friday night we got some good rain--happy trees, happy birds. Saturday morning, we did laundry and lounged about; then, Sat afternoon and evening, we had a baptism and dinner in Arlington Heights and then Chicago.

BOY--the rainstorm that came through while we were at my cousin's house was amazing--flooded streets, bent trees...da-dum

So, we came home that night and a little more rain came through. I really am happy to have all the rain--maybe my trees/flowers will come back stronger next year [I lost 2 rose bushes this year--Peace and Mr. Lincoln. The prettiest ones, of course :( ]

da-dum...da-dum

Anyway--Sun morning, Dave got ready to leave for a business trip to Nashville and I got ready to go amuse myself at the outlet mall in Huntley. Thought I might stop by the Gap outlet--too bad the Levi's outlet is gone ('cause I need more jeans like I need a hole in my head). I wish they had one of those faux purse places down there...

I digress.

dumdum, dumdum, dumdum, dumdum

I went out to get in my car only to find that, although I had closed all the vertical windows in the car, I had neglected to close the fully-open sunroof!

Everything was soaked. The water hadn't even begun to dry. The leather seats (because, of course, in my old car, which did not have leather seats, I never left the windows open for 2 days of rain) were soaked and spotted. The cupholders, gaskets around the trans-shifter and 4 wheel drive shifter, rear ashtray, and change holder? Full of water. Carpets and headliner? Soaked. In fact, as I drove, water kept running out of the weatherstripping between the headliner and window on the driver's side. It was totally great.

I mopped up what I could, found a towel to sit on, and went off to the mall. Somehow, between the mopping, leaving the windows open while driving and parked in the sun yesterday, and then spending the night with all windows open in the garage last night, my baby seems to have survived with no permanent injuries.

But I wouldn't recommend it.


** My red car is growing on me. My old Zuzu and I had a lot of fun together. So far, Red Car and I have driven back and forth to work. However, now 1 trip up to my aunt and uncle's house and now the monsoon are helping us to forge a better relationship. These things take time...

***That IM of D of getting a workout lately. ...maybe it's me...?

No comments: