Friday, February 24, 2006

More summing up

Background Part 2: In September 2005, when we found out that IVF 2 hadn’t worked, I sent off for a prelim adoption packet from Lifelink Adoption Services. My sister and brother-in-law had run into a family in Ray Wolf jewelers who had adopted am infant girl thru Lifelink and had nothing but good things to say. Their daughter was old enough to, when asked where she was born, say CHINA! Well, that was good enough for me. :)

So, the packet arrived and I did nothing with it. Seriously, nothing. Okay, I read it, but that’s it. IVF 3 in December came and went, and in January, after finding out that one didn’t work either, I did nothing again.

HAH! You thought I was going to say I called them! I didn’t! I didn’t call until April! (Inner resolution, maybe? I mean this is a baby from the other side of the world, here)

So, in late March, I decided that it was possible that if we didn’t adopt, that we might never be parents, so I called. We went to a seminar on April 6th, 2005 at the Lifelink offices in Rockford.

They’re on Spring Creek Road in the United Church of Christ building. How many churches are on Spring Creek road you might ask yourself? It’s a good thing you ask, because there are, like, ELEVEN OF THEM. Yes, for you Spinal Tap fans, the churches go up to eleven.

The problem is that while the offices are in the UCC building, what the sign out front says is NOT the UCC. It says the name of an entirely different church! First Presbyterian, maybe? I don’t know, but I do think that placing the correct name of your own church on the sign is generally a simple task.

So, we get there eventually we get there and talk with the coordinator and generally have a good meeting. We get more paperwork and head home. The next day…I do nothing!!! That’s right, I put the paperwork on the table and do nothing!!! More foot-dragging!

April……………May………………..June……………..half of July………………..

I finally got ready to send in the initial application and fee, when, on 7/13/05, I promptly got laid off. So, although Meg doesn’t believe me, I really was ready to start and got waylaid by the not-job thing.

It’s funny, though, 2 days prior to the layoff, I had said to my mom that I just didn’t know how I would ever be able to drive to Healthcare Company X every day and still have my future children eating dinner before 9pm. Apparently it was from my lips to God’s ears!

So, I wasn’t upset by the layoff, but was by the loss of the $10000 adoption benefit! Booooooooo. We decided to hold off on proceeding with the adoption stuff until I had found another job.

So—in January 2006, I started contract work with Healthcare Company Y.

My commute was cut by half! YAY!

No comments: