Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Today I had to exercise the 3 Outfit Rule.

In my late college/early working years, I found it necessary to institute the 3 Outfit Rule.

I found that I would be trying to find something to wear out or to work and would end up with the entire contents of my closet thrown all over my bed. Now, this didn't mean that I did find something good to wear, it just meant that when I came home I would either have to:

A) Hang it all back up before going to bed (right...)
B) Pile it up on my rocking chair or (if I had been at Sundance)
C) Shove it all on to the floor and fall asleep

I eventually got tired of it, and so began: The 3 Outfit Rule. The guidelines are really pretty simple. I allow myself to pull 3 seperate outfits' worth of clothes out of my closet (ie, 3 tops and 3 bottoms).

At that point, even if I hate everything that's on the bed, I must make today outfit from what's already out. Otherwise I get frustrated and just keep yanking things out of the closet, and really, what's the point in that?

Today my choices were:

Tops: White linen shirt/raspberry tank top, black shirt, and periwinkle shirt
and
Bottoms: Black pants, khaki skirt, and Giant Cherry Pants(!)

Unfortunately, I didn't decide I hated anything until I had ironed 4 of the 6 above items. (though I do love ironing). I eventually went with the periwinkle shirt and khaki skirt.

Those were the only ones I didn't want to rip off in anger and stomp on.

Everything else? Lying on my bed, of course.

No comments: