Friday, October 13, 2006

Kidnapping is bad.

The other weekend, Dave and I were in Elmhurst at the Classic Cinemas (more on that later). While I was in the ladies' room, I saw a woman walking through the bathroom holding her hands over the eyes of her 8-9 year old son.

It didn't bother me--I'm immodest, it wouldn't have bothered me to share a bathroom with a grown man--but I was a little amused and a little saddened.

It was funny to see the mom's expression as she wheeled her son through the room, but the reason that she felt the need to do so is sad commentary on our childrens' safety.

Might a 9 year-old boy be kidnapped or molested in a movie theater? Yep. And that's really sad.

I once ran into a man in Gurnee Mills who looked like he was trying to make the same decision about his little girl (5-6 years old?). I said I'd keep an eye on her in the ladies' room and he took me up on the offer.

I did say that I'd give him my driver's license while his daughter was in the washroom with me, but he declined. I figured it was a fairer trade--he'd want his daughter back in one piece and I'd want my ID.

I don't think I would have declined my offer, if the situation had been reversed.

No comments: