Tuesday, May 30, 2006

New Job--Day 1

It's time for everyone's favorite game, Better, Worse, or The Same!

New cube: The same. Less space, more walls. Fewer drawers, better chair.
Departmental Amenities: Worse, but not much worse. No sink, no water cooler, but a giant area that gets stocked from Sam's Club where one can buy a pop or candy bar for 30 cents.
Cafeteria: Better
Cell Phone Reception: Way worse! I have to pack a lunch, just to trek to a place where I can get a signal! This sucks when one's Poltergeist desk phone does not work (see below)
Lunch companionship: Worse--it's just me, myself, and I. Booooooo.
Building: Umm, better? It is nice to see sciency things here and there again. It reminds me of AP32 at Abbott Park. Part nicely carpeted office area, part dark scary cave.
Parking lot: Better. More trees, closer to the picnic area.
People (so far): Worseish? Really, different, I guess. They're really nice, but they act more grown up than I. (Must work on loosening them up)
Network and email: The Dark Ages. I mean really, we've had email at work as a standard for, what, 10 years? And how many people change jobs every year? Millions.

So, why is it that I have to call the help desk to set up my own stuff only to hear them say, "Oh, wow, that's weird". Last week, they turned my email off too early. This week I've got 2 emails and 2 network logons. Oh--3 of those 4 do not work.

And, my phone, which worked just fine at my old job, now has no dial tone. BUT, don't let yourself think that that means people can't call me. Because they do. And the phone answers by itself.

On speakerphone. And I can't do anything but listen to the callers say, "Hello?!? Hello?!? Hello!?! Hello!?!"

Then, the Help Desk, which was actually trying to be helpful, kept disagreeing with me on my old login names. I mean, I've been known to be wrong*, but I have had 4 months of practice successfully logging on. Like, I'm probably right about my login name.

So, then I ask the HD how I will receive the login name and password I need to have in order to be able to read my email. The answer? They'll send it to me via email. Sighhhhh

As the HD ineloquently said, I'm "jacked".


*rarely, of course

No comments: