Friday, January 19, 2007

Eye doctor say huh?

So, in April of 2005, at the ripe age of 30, I made my first pilgrimmage to an eye doctor.

DB had always picked on me for my squinting habit, and, so, delighted in the fact that I finally did go. Now, I admit that I could benefit from corrective vision in the short term (more on that later), but I really went because I was getting bright flashes of light and dark spot in my vision.

And I thought, if my retinas are detaching, I should probably be aware of that.

Well, the retinas weren't detaching, but after the doctor looked at my dilated eyes with that blue and white light thingy, he sat back and just said, "Huh." It turns out my vitreouses were detaching, which is normal when you're 50. Which I'm not. So I've got that going for me. (Which is nice.)

"Come back in 6 months"..skip, skip, skip...I was supposed to go back for a checkup in Oct 2005, but I didn't. I went back yesterday.

It's a new doctor this time and I had told him about the previous doctor and my detaching vitrei and so on and so forth.

So he's looking at my eyes, again with the blue and white light machine, and I'm telling him how the old doctor looked at my eyes and just said "Huh". This doc made a noise that gave me the impression that he felt like the old doc wasn't very good at what he did. As soon as I finished my little story, what did he do?

Sat back in his chair and said, "Huh." "I've never seen anything like this." And this doc was an optometrist in the military where there are a lot of eyeballs. We looked in the weird eye stuff book, and it wasn't even listed in there either.

I'm really glad that I can't have something normal wrong with me.

Apparently it's something weird with my lens and he's going to talk to his eye friends and get back to me.


Greaaaat.

Next chapter: I'm not wearing them anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

No comments: